Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Anger Management

I smashed my mouse today. I also cracked my monitor screen, I think.

I've been working on this same project for the last six months. I collected a lot of data and prepared a bunch of reports that I've been saving on my harddrive (the files are too large for my network drives). In any case, I accidentally deleted the files late this afternoon and had no idea how to retrieve them. I have Windows XP loaded on my work laptop, so I tried the System Restore feature, but that didn't help. Our Internal Computer Support Team was of even less help.

During my frustration, I gripped my mouse so hard it cracked in three places. Normally, I'm pretty calm. But the thought of having lost six months worth of work made it very difficult to be optimistic. The thought continued to boil inside my head. I stared at my computer screen and just thought of tossing the laptop across the room. At that moment, the screen cracked down the middle. With my left hand, I caught a tiny piece of glass that came flying towards my face. I just sat there, befuddled. How could I explain what just happened?

It was about 6:45pm by this time. Everyone had gone home over an hour ago. I figured the best thing to do was just go home and get some rest. Maybe I was just seeing things. Maybe screen didn't crack. I mean, how could it? I didn't even lay a finger on my laptop!

AM: DD Medium Roast with Cinnamon
PM: Cafecito

No comments: